a review of 2009 (part 1)
i used to write some annual diary / blog (nung nauso na) entry about the year that was and the one that is to come. last year, i altered that tradition a bit by answering a year-ender survey of sorts in this multiply blog entry of mine. a year later, now that the year i prepared for is about to end, i’d like to answer this survey once more.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
1. turned 30, graduated from law school and took the bar exams (of course, i never did these things before, and i wouldn’t want to repeat both, esp the latter either)
2. mike & i moved to a rented condo.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
– no i didn’t! haha. my resolution last year was to exercise more and to eat junk food less.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
– one of my best-est friends, miharu, gave birth
4. Did anyone close to you die?
– no one particularly close to me passed away…thank God. but some people i looked up to / liked (along with many others) did: MJ, pres. cory, brittany murphy.
5. What countries did you visit?
– once more, none.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
– that four letter prefix (atty) to be affixed to my name
– a place of our own
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
– the four (nay five!) bar sundays, which included the ondoy weekend
– nov 9, 2009 = my hiring date in SGV
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
– graduating from law school
– hurdling the bar exams (it’s an achievement in itself pala)
9. What was your biggest failure?
– i don’t know. i used to think that not getting invited by big law firms to work for them because i didn’t perform as well as i hoped i would academically (in terms of grades) in law school was a failure…occasionally, the thought still crosses my mind. but now, i’m happy where i am. i know i’ve been planted where i could bloom.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
– the usual bouts of upper respiratory tract infection. twas just a bummer when i was hit by that usual illness (suki na talaga ako) twice during bar review and on the first bar sunday.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
– my macbook! hands down. 🙂
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
– efren penaflorida. he wasn’t voted as CNN person of the year for nothing.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
– depressed = wala naman
– appalled = PGMA (pa rin!), c–c-i-, and this girl and boy (roomie, you know what i’m talking about, secret natin ito. hehe)
14. Where did most of your money go?
– bar review! i spent almost 200K for books, condo/dorm rental, review center fee, photocopy, food and medicine
– condo rental (ultima before, now rada regency)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
– joining the work force again
– moving in to a new place with my hubby
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
– the songs from my bar review soundtrack
– sa mga novelty songs: nobody, and manny villar’s current campaign song – it’s always aired on primetime. nakakarindi at nakaka-LSS kahit di mo gusto!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? – definitely happier. joy that comes from the Lord, not from circumstance. i’m happier because He has drawn me closer to Him this year.
ii. thinner or fatter? – fatter (argh) because i was 5lbs thinner last year. di bale, dapat fit ako ulit this year. pakinabangan ko naman ang gym sa office at ang pool sa condo.
iii. richer or poorer? – richer in spirit. 🙂 and even materially, compared to last year when mike and i were both jobless. super thank God!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
– be more thankful.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
– grumble and complain. i’m (we’re) too blessed to do that!
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
– Spent it with my in-laws.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
– yes, there’s a reason to fall in love with mike more each day. (sobrang cheesy! hahaha)
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
– How I Met Your Mother (hands down!) – ito pa rin! although since we moved to the condo, where we don’t have a cable subscription yet, we have this primetime kapuso routine: 24 oras, darna, fullhouse, sana ngayong pasko
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
– hate is such a strong word. disappointment would be a better term.
26. What was the best book you read?
– i’ve read a lot of books this year! law books and books to feed my soul alike. but nothing tops the Bible. 🙂 i also liked sababan’s tax reviewer and sherman’s commentary on the GATT valuation code (yun naman ang inaaral ko ngayon)
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
– casting crows (thanks for sharing their music with me, roomie!)
28. What did you want and got?
– too many to mention! no prayer goes unanswered talaga, even the most petty of requests, God grants when it’s in accordance with His will kasi.
-Note: I just copy-pasted this “survey” from a friend’s page and it’s really missing 29.- (I think this anomaly has made this meme unique, hehehe. – not anymore, since i’m also copying and answering it. hehe)
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
– my top 3 are: Avatar (of course!) and even if no special effects, Facing the Giants (which I could and have already watched over and over again) and Fireproof . they tugged at my heart kasi.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
– i turned 30 this year. celebrated it with a small-get together in a private resort in pansol, laguna with family and some good friends who were able to make it. grad party ko na din yon.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
– Couldn’t think of any at the moment. Carpe diem kasi isa sa mga mantra’s ko in life. So I always try to make the most out of every moment. (ditto, i still have the same answer)
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
– yung madaling suotin that would look good on me. for the latter part of this year, my get-up has been mostly corporate. eh bawal nga ang walang blazer sa office.
34. What kept you sane?
– Prayer and quiet time with the Lord. – ditto! i learned just how important it is to praise God because He is comfortable dwelling in our praises. we experience His presence more as we praise Him.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
– MJ pa rin. (hands down, even though he’s gone. this girl’s a fan). i also googled sandara park a lot. naaliw ako sa success nya in korea and i’m pretty happy for her. 🙂
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
– the ampatuan massacre – i guess a lot of us were stirred by that. [although compared to previous years, admittedly, i wasn’t as passionate for political / national issues this year, although i still had the heart for them. i guess i’m in a phase na napagod ako, i’m still recuperating now. ]
37. Who did you miss?
– I’ll always miss my Dad. i miss mommygran, daddygran and tatay emil too. I miss my Mom, some relatives who live far away, my best friends in highschool, college, and Bambs and Murf. — ditto. although i’m glad that in the latter part of the year, i was able to catch up with them.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
– my cluster mates. 🙂 (go MPT cluster!)
– my newfound friend and sister-in-Christ, lars (kahit di na tayo masyado nagkikita now)
– hindi sila new persons that i met, but i especially valued my baste review mates, esp my roommate, and also my EGI mates (LP cams, geli). we hurdled 5 (almost 6) gruelling months together.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
– God doesn’t withhold his blessings, He just wants our hearts to be ready to receive them.
– Humble and submit yourself before the Lord, He’ll be the one to lift you up in due time. It’s a daily process of surrender and dependence on Him. When you think you’re already doing fine on your own, it’s a warning sign that you’re not because your heart is beginning to drift farther away from Him.
– The sufficiency of God in my life…the sufficiency of His grace. With Him and in Him, i have everything i need. 🙂
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
– “Through It All” by Hillsong. the lyrics go of the 1st stanza go this way:
“You are forever in my life, You see me through the seasons, cover me in Your love and lead me to Your righteousness…”
my 2009 was a colorful one as i moved from one phase to another: student life, life of a reviewee and corporate life once more…definitely from one season to another. in all of those phases, i was sustained through the grace of God alone. 🙂