His mercy endures forever
2 Chron 20
The journey of Jehosaphat and his people from being surrounded by enemies to total and absolute victory
– Jehosaphat, son of Asa, was the new King of Judah at 35. He wanted to honor God. Because of God’s hand of favor upon him, He prospered and even His enemies were afraid of him, even sent gifts to him. Jehosaphat later allied himself with Ahab, who died in the battle. A prophet told him that he shouldn’t have allied himself with someone who didn’t please and who hated God.
– 2 Chron 20:3 – no need to beg God – as new covenant Believers, search what God has already said about a matter; Jehosaphat set himself to seek God
– v.4 – Great power when 2 or more come together to agree
– v.5 – the King was not afraid to humble himself before the Lord. Showed an example of what it meant to humble himself
– v.6 – He was blessing God, exalting Him, honoring who God is. 1st recognize what’s going on up there. Set your sights on higher things.
– v.7-8 – reminded God of what He did
– Isaiah 59:19 – When the enemy comes in like a flood, the spirit of the Lord, don’t stop there!
So shall they fear The name of the Lord from the west, And His glory from the rising of the sun; When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him. – Isaiah 59:19 NKJV
– a standard or banner. When the enemy comes in, like a flood the Spirit of the Lord…God is so much bigger, it will never compare to what the enemy is trying to do to you.
– 2 Chron 20:9 – remembering what God said. There was a confidence, not because of what they’ve done, but because of what God does
I would have lost heart, had I not believed that I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living – a relationship, a covenant (Lord, Master)
– 2 Chron 20:11 – when you dedicate your asset, you are transferring ownership, maintenance to the Lord
– 2 Chron 20:12 – We are powerless against this mighty enemy. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you. May this be our first response, not resort to our human strategies or networks.
O our God, won’t you stop them? We are powerless against this mighty army that is about to attack us. We do not know what to do, but we are looking to you for help.” – 2 Chronicles 20:12 NLT
– 2 Chron 20:13 – the entire nation was there, seeking the Lord
– 2 Chron 20:14 – the Spirit of the Lord came upon one of the men standing there – God knows who He’s going to speak through, who He’s going to use to bring victory. Now, in the new Covenant, the spirit of the Lord is in you! God already gave His spirit, He wants to show you things to come.
– Jehaziel – beheld by God. Zechariah – the Lord remembers (put Me in remembrance, I do not forget. When you remind Me, you’re really reminding yourself). Bene-aiah – Jehovah has built. Jaiel – God sweeps, God will take care. Mepheniah – gift of God, always by the grace of God, not because of how good you are. WOW!
– 2 Chron 20:15 – When you seek the Lord, wait for thr answer, for His instruction. God is able to speak to you in the middle of anything. God can use anything, if you are just willing to wait and hear. DO NOT BE AFRAID, DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY THIS MIGHTY ARMY. THE BATTLE IS NOT YOURS, BUT GOD’S.
– 2 Chron 20:16 – Do not be afraid, be strong and of good courage. You will know that it’s me, because it will happen this way. Tomorrow…there’s always a tomorrow. Tomorrow is always better than today. Don’t lose heart, there’s always a tomorrow. Sleep, rest, because there’s a tomorrow. Don’t wallow and despair at home. March out.
– 2 Chron 20:17 – you don’t even need to fight. Take your positions, stand still and watch the Lord’s victory. – your true position in Christ
– Eph 2:4 – God who is rich in mercy, because of His great love (not yours), with which He loved us. Made us alive, raised us up together, seated us with Him in Heavenly places, far above.
– Be still and know that I am God. Know, understand, pursue, have a growing knowledge.
– Pursuing the enemy may be good, but it is limited.
– Micah 7:7 But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord (individual response ability). Watching in hope.
Hebrews 12:2 – Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith
– 2 Chron 20:17 – He is with you. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Go out against them tomorrow, for the Lord is with you. Not just allies, the Lord is with you!
– 2 Chron 20:18 – response of Jehosaphat and the people: they bowed (humility), and shouted with a loud voice (in faith). Received the instruction, the word of the Lord, because you know, there’s victory coming
– 2 Chron 20:20 – early the next morning, the army. (Not procrastinating, early; the army, not just one person). Believe in the Lord and be established.
– It is good for the people to be established. Stand in the grace of God.
– Believe in His prophets and you will succeed, and you will prosper
– Prophets – the sent one, mouthpiece. The One sent to us is Jesus Christ.
– Believe in the One that He has sent. It will establish you, you’ll see prosperity in your life.
– 2 Chron 20:21 – they let the praise go forth (thanksgiving, honor, blessing). They sang: give thanks to the Lord, His faithful love endures forever. They focused on His character.
– 2 Chron 20:22 – the moment they began to sing and give praise, the Lord caused the armies to fight among themselves
– 2 Chron 20:26 – the valley of the shadow of death became a valley of blessing for them; if you just remember your position.