2 Chronicles 2:20
Give thanks to the Lord, His mercy endures forever
Love is demonstrated in the word “chesed” = mercy is the loose translation, but it cannot really be defined in one word.
Used in the Bible 248x: Goodness, kindness, benevolence, pity, tender mercy, loving kindness, loyal love, unfailing love
Chesed is a character of God because God Himself cannot be fully defined. He is multi-dimensional: God is a shield, rock, cornerstone, branch, shepherd, King, judge, Father.
We need to experience God in different dimensions. We may not comprehend everything about God, but for sure we can apprehend something. Today, may we apprehend a new dimension of God.
Ephesians 3:18 (AMP) – That you may have the power and be strong to apprehend and grasp with all the saints [God’s devoted people, the experience of that love] what is the breadth and length and height and depth [of it]; – Ephesians 3:18 AMPC
Jeremiah 9:23 (NLT) – This is what the Lord says: “Don’t let the wise boast in their wisdom, or the powerful boast in their power, or the rich boast in their riches. But those who wish to boast should boast in this alone: that they truly know me and understand that I am the Lord who demonstrates unfailing love and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth, and that I delight in these things. I, the Lord , have spoken! – Jeremiah 9:23-24 NLT
– don’t lean on what you have (wisdom, power, riches, contacts), if you must boast / glory in this: that they truly know Me and understand that I am God. Boast in your relationship with God. He demonstrates hesed, brings justice and righteousness. = demonstrated on the Cross
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. – Romans 5:8-9 NKJV
Romans 5:8 – demonstrates = it’s still ongoing. God is still demonstrating.
Romans 5:9 – we have been justified by His blood
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever; With my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations. For I have said, “Mercy shall be built up forever; Your faithfulness You shall establish in the very heavens.” – Psalms 89:1-2 NKJV
Psalm 89:1-2 – mercy, Chesed, shall be built up forever
– In Hebrew, this is Olam hesed ebenei. = olam – everlasting, world. El Olam – God is everlasting. Adon olam – adonai
– the world is built up by Chesed. The reason why the world exists is Chesed. Because of this, our supply is God, Himself
– Chesed is the very thing that sustains everything else
– mercy shall be built up forever. Your faithfulness shall establish the Heavens.
– Chesed is that which sustains, initiates and supplies; Chesed will lead us to the person of Jesus.
Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me…this is the reason why Chesed will sustain you. (In Psalm 23)
My grace, Chesed, is more than enough. It is the favor that sustains you.
Colossians 1:15 (NLT) – Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation, for through him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth. He made the things we can see and the things we can’t see— such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world. Everything was created through him and for him. He existed before anything else, and he holds all creation together. – Colossians 1:15-17 NLT
– Whatever it is you’re going through, God is holding you, will sustain you.
– You don’t just want to have life. You want to have the Zoe kind of life.
– Nothing deserves to be here; but out of His mercy, love, grace (Chesed), things exist. We have something rather than nothing. With God, we have something, everything actually, for nothing!
Romans 8:32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? – Romans 8:32 NKJV
– the love of God is beyond understanding. In Christ, we don’t just have something, we have everything.
– Chesed = Dalet Samech Chet
Notice the change in the modern rendering of the Hebrew letters. It’s now a double surround: the Father and Jesus embracing you. Nothing can separate you from the love of God through Christ (Romans 8)
Door = movement
Our worries, our anxieties, He took it on, because of Jesus Christ. The very word of Chesed points to Jesus Christ.
The moment they started to sing, something happened, they were singing something specific: His mercy endures forever.
What is your heart’s song? No one can take away the song of your heart.
Ephesians – speak to one another with Psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Continue singing, even in the dark moments of our lives.
Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns. When was the last time you sang in your darkest moments?
Matthew 26:30 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. – Matthew 26:30 NKJV
There’s a particular hymn that they were singing: the great Halel. Psalms 130 – 186
Psalm 136: there’s a particular theme – His mercy endures forever