One of the best, most comforting messages I’ve heard. Thank you, Lord, for Your Holy Spirit, who lives inside of me:
Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”), that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. – Galatians 3:13-14 NKJV
- No matter how good you are, there will always be some law that you cannot accomplish. But Jesus fulfilled all laws. Trust in what Jesus has already finished for you. Every single one of us who believed has been redeemed from the curse of the law, that we (Gentiles)
- Faith is the hand that reaches out to what God is giving us by His grace. We grab hold to this reality: the promise of the Spirit, which He releases to every single person who believes. When God gives a promise, He backs it up to the hilt.
- Sin cannot stand in the glorious presence of God. For those who believed in Him, He changed the nature inside of us. Jesus gives us all the nature of Himself. He does not withhold from us.
- You and I were not good, but Jesus came anyway. That we may receive life so other people can taste and see the goodness of God in our lives.
And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. – John 14:16-17 NKJV
- Why another helper? Because Jesus, when He was on the earth was helping them understand what it was like to be loved by the Father, what it’s like in Heaven.
- Alos paracletos = another just like Jesus, as if He was walking with them every single day, identical in the way He does and speaks things, and will be inside every single Believer
- Able to do what He could do…greater works than what He is doing, because we have the Holy Spirit inside of us. The Holy Spirit reminds you of Jesus.
- Understand who it is who lives in you. Actually have a relationship with the One who lives in you. He is in a permanent relationship in you, because He has taken up residence in every single person who believes in Jesus.
- Identical in the way Jesus thinks, speaks, operates. Jesus has made you His home. He is with you forever. He will never leave you.
- Even though you don’t see him with your natural senses, the spirit of God will never lie to you.
7 Characteristics of the Holy Spirit:
And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby), that He may remain with you forever– The Spirit of Truth, Whom the world cannot receive (welcome, take to its heart), because it does not see Him or know and recognize Him. But you know and recognize Him, for He lives with you [constantly] and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans [comfortless, desolate, bereaved, forlorn, helpless]; I will come [back] to you. – John 14:16-18 AMPC
1. Comforter – helps you feel secure, brings stability in life, where you find rest
- God did not call us to be comfortable because we’re ever increasing, but God does and we trust Him. We have a comforter that will cause us to always be at rest in Him, as He is in the inside of us.
But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you. – John 14:26 AMPC
- There’s a comforter that has already gone before.
- The more we hear with fresh ears, faith gets built up in the inside of us: who He is in us, who He is before us.
Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.] – John 14:27 AMPC
- There’s a peace when you’re not fearful, when you’re in that comforter.
- You have a choice to believe that the greater One lives inside of you.
- The comforter brings that ease. We don’t have to be fearful or unsettled. Choose to believe Him and Him alone.
2. Counselor – advise, teach, because it is a life of discovery
- The enemy causes us to be fearful, worried and agitated
But when He, the Spirit of Truth (the Truth-giving Spirit) comes, He will guide you into all the Truth (the whole, full Truth). For He will not speak His own message [on His own authority]; but He will tell whatever He hears [from the Father; He will give the message that has been given to Him], and He will announce and declare to you the things that are to come [that will happen in the future]. – John 16:13 AMPC
- No lies. We don’t want to have any deception.
- The Holy Spirit comes with the word, He comes with illumination. He gives you things to come. The message released to Him: to testify of the Son
- The Holy Spirit speaks of the Son (not His own message)
He will honor and glorify Me, because He will take of (receive, draw upon) what is Mine and will reveal (declare, disclose, transmit) it to you. Everything that the Father has is Mine. That is what I meant when I said that He [the Spirit] will take the things that are Mine and will reveal (declare, disclose, transmit) it to you. – John 16:14-15 AMPC
- The Holy Spirit will speak the word to you. He wants you to know so you can hold it in your hands. What does He want you to know?
that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power – Ephesians 1:17-19 NKJV
- When you know it, you can walk it out, you can live it out.
3. Helper – comes running when you cry out for help
- The hands that helps lift you out of the mess that you’re in. We rely on His ability, not our own.
God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. – Psalms 46:1 NKJV
- 24/7, He gives you His full attention
Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!] [Josh. 1:5.] – Hebrews 13:5 AMPC
- Because His Spirit resides in the inside of you.
- You are still the righteousness of God. It cannot be changed even though you mess up.
So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm [I will not fear or dread or be terrified]. What can man do to me? [Ps. 27:1;118:6.] – Hebrews 13:6 AMPC
- He ia a very present help in times of trouble, even if you don’t call out His name. But when you call out the name of Jesus, you will be saved. Delivered.
- When you call out His name, His Spirit rises up on the inside of you.
- Death cannot hold Him. It has no hold on you.
4. Intercessor – stands in the gap, declares the will of God in the earth.
- The Holy Spirit helps us to pray when we don’t know what to pray about
Romans 8:25-29 (The Voice)
- The Holy Spirit comes in to align our lives, gives us instructions to turn back and go the way we should
- The confidence is not in our own ability, but that He is more than able to orchestrate His plan. We align our lives according to His purpose and plan. The world can see who is in you, that you are changed and transformed
5. Advocate – legal counsel, fights on another’s behalf.
- Jesus is our advocate in Heaven. The Holy Spirit is our advocate on earth.
- The Holy Spirit as our advocate declares who you are based on what Jesus has done. You have value because I love you. You are seated above every power.
So, what do you think? With God on our side like this, how can we lose? If God didn’t hesitate to put everything on the line for us, embracing our condition and exposing himself to the worst by sending his own Son, is there anything else he wouldn’t gladly and freely do for us? And who would dare tangle with God by messing with one of God’s chosen? Who would dare even to point a finger? The One who died for us—who was raised to life for us!—is in the presence of God at this very moment sticking up for us. Do you think anyone is going to be able to drive a wedge between us and Christ’s love for us? There is no way! Not trouble, not hard times, not hatred, not hunger, not homelessness, not bullying threats, not backstabbing, not even the worst sins listed in Scripture: They kill us in cold blood because they hate you. We’re sitting ducks; they pick us off one by one. None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us. I’m absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God’s love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us.
Romans 8:31-39 MSG
- God wants to lavish His abundance on you.
- Don’t live in condemnation when you understand who is on the inside of us
6. Strengthener – supplies the strength from the inside out
- We rely on His ability. He is never tired, He is never weak
And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. – II Corinthians 12:9 NKJV
- His strength overshadows and energizes you. He is our fortress
[Not in your own strength] for it is God Who is all the while effectually at work in you [energizing and creating in you the power and desire], both to will and to work for His good pleasure and satisfaction and delight. – Philippians 2:13 AMPC
- Effectually at work – effective
- He gives you both the power and desire, all the while energizing you. It will not get to a point where you just want to quit and give up.
- Now is not the time to give up. Just keep on keeping on.
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. – II Timothy 1:7 NKJV
- Power – dynamic, dunamis power beginning within you
- Love is the strongest force, put Jesus on the Cross and made Him stay there. God’s love is ever-giving. The greatest demonstration of God’s love is the Cross
- Sound mind – mastery, soundness and peace will come
7. Our Standby – always available, especially in emergencies.
- Always relied on, will supply all your needs, will take your place when needed. Will do an action for you.
- Like a generator, but the Holy Spirit doesn’t wait for the lights to go out. His power is always running.
- You can always lean on your entire human personality on Him
Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. – Ephesians 3:20-21 NKJV
- God always brings things to completion. He doesn’t do things halfway.
- The Holy Spirit who’s on the inside of you as a Believer
- So you will not be moved where you are.
- Will always stand by your side
- He will never ever fail you.
- He is the One who is inside you.
- A dying world outside needs to see the One who lives inside of you.